St Nicholas are proud to be supporting the Burnage Community Foodbank.
Find out more about the Burnage Foodbank by visiting their website :
Burnage Foodbank Website
The Inclusive Church ‘statement of belief’
“We believe in inclusive Church – church which does not discriminate, on any level, on grounds of economic power, gender, mental health, physical ability, race or sexuality. We believe in Church which welcomes and serves all people in the name of Jesus Christ; which is scripturally faithful; which seeks to proclaim the Gospel afresh for each generation; and which, in the power of the Holy Spirit, allows all people to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Jesus Christ.”
St.Nicholas Church is a Grade II* listed building.
It is the first church designed by the architect Nugent Francis Cachemaille Day.
In 1931 The foundation stone was laid. The ‘old’ hall was built and used for services.
In 1932 the building was completed at a cost of £11,600.
From 1963/64 an extension was added to create choir stalls to the rear of the building.
In the late 1990’s the rectory and two halls were demolished and the land sold in preparation for the restoration project.
At a cost of over £1million a complete restoration was carried out in 2000/02 under the guidance of the architect Anthony Grimshaw.
The interior was redesigned with the rear (West End) of the church , including the choir stalls , being converted into a hall for community use. The new hall and worship area are separated by a moveable screen and a striking glass circular meeting room has been constructed at first floor level. The exterior remains as in 1932.
As a part of the restoration a new rectory was built on the corner of Kingsway and Poplar Road.
The new building was dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester in June 2002.